Frigidity is a long term lack of sexual drive that is more often applied to women. Frigidity can lead to problems in family life. The contributing factors are psychological fear about sex or due to anxiety or trauma. Avoiding sex for prolonged periods or lack of enjoyment in spite of having a desirable and cooperative partner can easily indicate frigidity. An open communication between the partners can help in solving the problem. If no solution emerges, it is advisable to seek counseling or medical advice.
Ayurvedic Approach to Frigidity
Extensive descriptions and treatment methods are described in a special chapter on Female infertility named as Stri Roga in Ashtanga Hrudaya. Ayurvedic texts Charak Samhita, Sarnghadhara Samhita and Ashtang Sangraha also discuss the topic of female infertility and its cure.
According to Ayurveda Kapha dosha is responsible for sexual disorders such as frigidity. Treatment may involve both internal and external therapies. Ayurvedic remedies are aimed at first restoring the normal health of the body by purification of the body to eliminate the accumulated toxins, strengthening the digestive process to promote general health and through rejuvenating procedures.
Causes Of Frigidity (Low Sexual Drive In Females)
- If there is a conflict in the relationship of the partners, it is likely to reflect in the attitude towards sex.
- Another major reason is anxiety about the sexual performance when emphasis is more on the physical aspect than the emotional.
- When there is too much worry about other aspects of life it can also lead to reduced sexual desire.
- Women who may have been victims of sexual abuse as a child may suffer from frigidity. Fear of pregnancy is also a factor that causes frigidity in women.
- Major health problems such as diabetes and multiple sclerosis may also be the underlying cause for lack of sexual drive in women.
Ayurveda Treatments for Frigidity
Vajikarana is one of the eight branches of Ayurveda Treatment. This is the science that deals with the means of producing healthy progeny and for maintaining sexual health and managing sexual disorders. Ayurveda has specific drugs for sexual disorders. Herbal medicines are prescribed according to the patient’s requirement based on many different factors such physical, emotional and environmental.
Sodhana is a purification therapy that is followed by Samana a pacification therapy. The impurities and toxins accumulated in the body are expelled and then the body is helped to return back to normalcy by activating the internal organs. Ayurvedic massages help in arousing the sexual desire.
Ayurvedic Herbal Remedies for Frigidity
- The most common medicine prescribed in Ayurveda is the Ashwagandha Lehyam for 40 days. .It is a nervine tonic and prevents stress in both partners and improves the sexual urge in both.
- Adbac: One capsule taken once daily is highly effective in improving stamina and controls frigidity.
- Aagosh: One capsule twice daily and taken with warm milk after meals for 6 weeks can cure frigidity.
- Aswal Plus: This capsule is another drug prescribed for treating frigidity and it should be taken once daily for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Trasina: One capsule with water or milk should be taken after meals for 30 days works well against frigidity.
- Other herbs that have properties of enhancing libido in men and women such as Shatavari and Kuchala.
- Massage using medicated oils like erotic essential oil are helpful in enhancing the sexual desire in women. Medicinal oils like Dadimadi Ghrita, Kalyanaka ghrita, Kalyana gulam, and Narayana Thailam and Phala sarpis are usually used.
- Spiritual advice also helps to clear mental disturbances and restore the healthy mind.
- If the patient suffers from cystic ovarian disease, Ushna and Kaphavatahara treatments are given.
Diet Recommendation For Frigidity
A nutritious diet helps in to maintain good health both physically and psychologically.
Female Infertility and its Management in Ayurveda
The descriptions about female reproductive disorders have been dealt in the chapters of Stri Roga in Ashtanga Hrudaya, Charak Samhita, Susruta Samhita, Sarnghadhara Samhita and Ashtang Samgraha.