Schizophrenia is a psychiatric illness which is chronic. It is characterized by abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality in the sufferer. Schizophrenia greatly affects the social and personal life of the patient. There are no lab tests to detect this disorder and the diagnosis is based on the behavior and the experiences as reported by the patient. The symptoms start appearing in the early adulthood.
Ayurvedic approach to Schizophrenia
Ayurveda system addresses both the body and the mind for healing. In Ayurveda, Schizophrenia is given the name “Unmada”. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by hallucination and delusion. The treatment focuses on restoring the balance of energies in the body and also on pacifying the mind.
Causes Of Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is found to run in certain families. Scientific research has revealed that the risk of the disorder is caused by several genes. It is normally due to abnormal secretion of serotonin and dopamine, the two chemical substances present in the brain. The changes in the brain appearing during puberty may trigger psychotic symptoms.
The findings also confirm that mental and psychic strain and stress are the primary causes of Schizophrenia. It also occurs in people who are not regular in taking food. In some people constipation is the major cause of this mental disorder and it may aggravate the condition in some others.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia
The common symptoms of Schizophrenia are abnormal heavier, not taking care of self, not socializing, absenting from work, suspiciousness, hallucinations and false beliefs. Other symptoms include insomnia, being irritable, violent actions, incoherent acting or talking.
Ayurvedic Remedies For Schizophrenia
- The herbs Vacha, Shankhpushpi, Sarpagandha in the powder form are used together or separately. These herbs are capable of pacifying the patient’s mind.
- Dhara, the Ayurvedic therapy with medicated oil also proves useful. Kshirbala taila medicated oil is used for this procedure. This therapy induces sound sleep and the patient recovers quickly form the psychic condition.
- Two to four strings of Saffron can be boiled with milk and given to the patient on empty stomach.
- Jatamansi in the powder form should be taken, one teaspoonful three times a day.
- Half a tablespoonful of Vatakulantak Ras should be taken three times daily.
Diet Advice For Schizophrenia
- Schizophrenic persons should have saffron mixed with warm milk regularly.
- They should also consume butter, ghee made from cow’s milk and cow’s milk.
- Cut down on all astringent and pungent food items;
- Patients should avoid fried food and beans and pulses as well.
Other recommendations For Schizophrenia
The patients suffering from Schizophrenia should be given psycho-therapy to deal with the psychic condition of the patients.
The patient should have a happy environment. The atmospheres that induce the psychic conditions must be identified and removed.
Yogic meditation and the breathing exercises are helpful to calm the mind.