The skin forms a protective layer between our body and the environment. Our skin contains tens of thousands of tactile nerve endings, sweat pores and sebaceous glands. The oil glands in the skin keep our skin soft and moisturised with their secretions.
25 Easy Remedies for Dry Skin
1. Go slow on use of the soap and hot water cleansing routine. The chemicals in the soap aggravate skin dryness. Instead of soaps, use mild face washes and Luke warm water to wash your face.
2. Milk is one of the most effective cures for dry skin. Add milk to the last mug of bath water and splash over your body.
3. Milk cream, when applied over the face, cleanses the skin and softens it.
4. Honey is a wonder food, but also is an effective moisturiser. Honey can be applied over the face and washed off after 15 minutes to get dewy, fresh skin.
5. Hands and feet are especially prone to dryness. Petroleum jelly, when applied to the feet, heels, knees and elbows, softens dry skin.
6. Glycerine and rose water can be applied to very dry skin for miniaturisation .
7. Cracked heels and dry feet can be cured by rubbing the inside of ripe banana peel.
8. Use baby oil on your face to ease the dryness
9. Apply olive oil before your bath for soft skin
10. The pulp of ripe papaya and banana can be used for a facemask on dry skin
11. The pulp of avocado, mixed with honey is an effective cure for itchy skin.
12. Cucumber slices when rubbed over the face cure tightness and mild dryness of skin
13. Creams containing shea butter are effective on dry skin.
14. A mixture of coconut and olive oils is effective in smoothening rough knees and elbows.
15. Grape seed oil is a new cure for dry skin
16. A paste of 2 almonds in milk is an effective cure for dry facial skin
17. A diet rich in nuts and fish oil works to prevent dry skin
18. Gentle exfoliation with oatmeal and granulated sugar helps in sloughing dry skin.
19. Aloe Vera gel is very soothing on scaly skin
20. Avoid excessive coffee consumption as it leads to drying of skin
21. Ayurveda recommends weekly oil massages with mustard oil to cure winter dryness.
22. A mixture of gram flour and cream should be used as a soap substitute
23. Baby lotion and moisturising creams should be applied immediately after a bath
24. Glycerine is a good remedy for chapped lips
25. Petroleum jelly is an effective remedy on chilblains.