Viruses such as rhino viruses and corona viruses are considered as prime source of common cold. Even though, common cold normally does not have any serious consequences on a person’s health, one need to have a strong immune system for faster recovery. Children of age group 5-12 years are prone to get infected by common cold. Common cold virus spread commonly when one comes in contact with the nasal secretions containing cold viruses. It can spread fast through normal actions like nose blowing, sneezing, and touching the nose. Home remedies can effectively cure common cold and prevent its recurrence without side effects.
Causes of Common Cold
Common cold occurs due to sudden change in climate or through viral infections mostly.
1. Exposure to viruses
2. Exposure to cold, low vitality and dust
3. Lack of sleep
5. Sudden changes in temperature
Symptoms of Common Cold
1. Sore throat
2. Congestion of nasal passages
3. Running nose
Home Remedy for Treating Common Cold
1. Common cold usually takes at least 7 to 14 days to get cured. In case the person is also infected by the bacteria or complications like sinusitis, ear infection or laryngitis, the illness can prolong. The following home remedies are recommended for treating common cold:
2. Breathe steam regularly by boiling water with lemon.
3. Mix lemon and ginger in equal proportions and take 2 tea spoons after each meal.
4. Take 1-2 tea spoons of oregano leaves with hot water. Oregano has high thymol content which helps in fighting against bacteria, virus , fungi and yeast.
5. Cinnamon is a naturally occurring germicide and should be taken along with hot herbal tea to strengthen the immune system.
6. Suck 1 lemon every day. Lemon acts like apple cider vinegar as it is extremely high in acid and helps in balancing the alkaline levels of the body.
7. Turmeric is a simple home remedy for cold and cough. Inhale turmeric fumes to cure stuffy or running nose. Turmeric powder is added to milk and boiled over slow fire. Drink this hot milk for fast relief from common cold.
8. The root of the bitter gourd plant is one of the highly effective home remedies for common cold. The roots are ground into a paste with honey and Tulsi juice. Take this everyday at bed time to get immediate relief from common cold.
9. Prepare a solution by boiling water and adding ¼ teaspoon of table salt to it. Put 2 to 3 drops of this solution in your both the nostrils before meals and going to bed.
10. Ginger is one of the most effective home remedies for common cold. Boil a few pieces of ginger in water and strain it. Add sugar and drink it hot. You can also make ginger tea and drink it 2 to 3 times a day to get fast relief from common cold.
11. Boil lady fingers in half a liter of water and inhale the fumes. Eating this vegetable can also effectively cure throat irritation and persistent dry cough, pain and swelling.
12. The most popular home remedies for common cold is the Pepper Rasam. A concoction of Tamarind and Pepper known as Pepper Rasam is an effective home remedy for common cold in South India. Boil the diluted tamarind juice for a few minutes with a teaspoon of hot ghee and half a teaspoon of black pepper powder. This steaming hot must be taken thrice a day. After the patient takes it, the nose and eyes water and the nasal obstruction is instantly cleared.
1. A person infected with common cold need to take the following precautions for speedy recovery:
2. Abstain from solid foods as the digestive system weakens due to common cold
3. Drink fruit and vegetable juices as they are rich sources of vitamin C that fights common cold.
4. Take well-balanced diet of seeds and nuts to strengthen the immune system
5. Avoid meat, fish, eggs and starchy foods
6. Mild sunbath, fresh air, deep breathing, sound sleep ensure the body is able to fight infections.
7. Avoid caffeine products such as coffee
8. Do not drink chilled / Ice cold water or drink as they can aggravate common cold.
9. When coughing or sneezing, cover your nose and mouth to avoid spreading the virus or bacteria as it is highly contagious.