Skin as smooth as silk is a dream for all of us. Our skin reflects everything that affects our emotional and physical health. A happy mind and healthy body manifests as glowing skin while a stressed mind and body reflects in dull, sallow skin. The effects of pollution, lack of sleep, anemia, hormonal imbalance and malnourishment show up as dark under eye circles, zits and acne breakouts.
A regular skin care routine is essential for the health of the skin and is a long term solution. Modern makeup techniques offer instant solutions to presenting a smooth façade to the world – namely the magic of concealers.
What is a Concealer
A concealer is a thick cream in a shade matching the complexion. It is available in cream or stick form and can work wonders in evening out the skin tone. When applied to the under eye area, concealer immediately covers up dark circles and lends a bright look to the eyes. Concealer is applied to cover acne scars and discolorations on skin.
Tips to Choose Concealer
1. The concealer should be two shades lighter than the foundation
2. Concealer in translucent shades with a hint of yellow works best on the under eye area. Concealers in pink shades lend a mauve tone to dark circles under the eyes.
3. Concealers with a hint of yellow work best on Indian skin tones which range from golden to brown.
4. Water based concealers with mineral content are preferable as they set quickly and do not run.
5. Cream concealers are to be applied with a thin sable hair brush which should be cleaned after every use.
How to Apply Concealer
1. Cleanse the face thoroughly and pat dry.
2. Dab on foundation and work into the skin evenly.
3. Dab the concealer stick over blemishes or discoloured patches of skin.
4. Use the tip of the little finger to dab cream concealer on the under eye area. Spread it evenly using strokes in a single direction.
5. Take care to work in concealer into the fine lines in the outer corners of the eye.
6. Wrap a piece of ice in a clean muslin cloth and dab all over the face to set the foundation and concealer.
7. Use a thick, soft makeup brush to apply a hint of loose translucent powder over the concealer.
8. Minuscule quantities of Cream based concealer should be used and layering should be strictly avoided.
Like in any other aspect of life, practice will make you perfect in applying concealer.